The objective of becoming a superhuman is going well I think - I've started going "hmm, interesting" when people use a word I don't understand but I don't want them to know that. It's actually developed into quite a performance now. I'll look thoughtful and nod a little to myself. Then a small smile will cross my face, but with an exhalation of breath from my nose, as if the cosmic absurdity of it is almost too much. Then a look of sudden sadness, eyes lost to memory, reflecting on the ultimate meaning of it all. By this point they generally look a little embarrassed at how much I seem to be feeling the intellectual weight of their point, and they move the topic on, forgetting they ever uttered the word "paradigm" in my presence. Then I can say I'm going to the bathroom to take a big dump, straight onto the phone and dictionary.com - and blammo, I come back and use the word back at them, plus maybe a synonym or too I've memorised. The idiot is left in the wake of the uberness of my mensch.
Herein the tale of I, William H Strobb, as I complete my gap year, become a Nietzschean Ubermensch and contemplate love (Harriet) and hate (Harriet).
#4 17 June 2013
The objective of becoming a superhuman is going well I think - I've started going "hmm, interesting" when people use a word I don't understand but I don't want them to know that. It's actually developed into quite a performance now. I'll look thoughtful and nod a little to myself. Then a small smile will cross my face, but with an exhalation of breath from my nose, as if the cosmic absurdity of it is almost too much. Then a look of sudden sadness, eyes lost to memory, reflecting on the ultimate meaning of it all. By this point they generally look a little embarrassed at how much I seem to be feeling the intellectual weight of their point, and they move the topic on, forgetting they ever uttered the word "paradigm" in my presence. Then I can say I'm going to the bathroom to take a big dump, straight onto the phone and dictionary.com - and blammo, I come back and use the word back at them, plus maybe a synonym or too I've memorised. The idiot is left in the wake of the uberness of my mensch.